December 12, 2014
Metallic or just shimmer eye shadow are perfect for Christmas!
Jouer has triumphed once again with their exquisite Crème Mousse Eyeshadows – in a spectrum of easy-to-wear colors, all housed in decadent glass jars (so you can easily spot the right shade in your make up bag!)
Part subtle, part statement, these shimmer eyeshadows from Jouer will put a twinkle in your eye that makes you the life of the party. Unlike the over-the-top glitter of the past, this new take on metallics is sophisticated, wearable, and it stays put.
Smudge across the eyelid with your fingertips, to elevate your look to holiday fabulous.
Choose from ‘Moonlight’ (shimmering soft gold), ‘Starlight” (pearlescent pink champagne), ‘Dusk’ (soft plum}, ‘Galaxy’ (soft bronze), ‘Night Sky’ (golden slate) and ‘Twilight’ (navy charcoal).
How to use: Apply with fingertips across eyelids. Layer as needed for a more dramatic look.
- 0.18 oz.
- By Jouer; made in the USA.
Jouer – $30
Disclosure: A complimentary sample was sent to The Beauty Stop for this review. No compensation was received and all opinions are that of the author.
December 3, 2014
Beyoncé released a set of four nail wraps with NCLA, and they’re a must-have!
Beyoncé has always loved rocking a great set of nails. She wore a gilded set during her 2013 Super Bowl halftime performance, and she even wore orange tips for President Obama’s 2013 inauguration.
The nail art collaboration with LA-based beauty brand NCLA is available on her website and consists of four killer designs based on her self-titled visual album.
No drying time means you can switch your look up as often as Bey, and at only $18 a pop, it’s cheaper than a manicure. Flawless.
Do you love nail wraps?
December 1, 2014
I love a berry lip stain during the holidays. It’s such a versatile color and looks fantastic on all skin tones.
Lip stains are the perfect DIY, because they usually only contain a couple of ingredients, and the colors can be completely customizable.
You’ll of course want to start with fresh berries! For two small tins of balm, I use 2 raspberries and 2 blackberries. If you want a darker color, use 3 blackberries : 1 raspberry. If you want a pinker tone, use 3 raspberries : 1 blackberry.
The second ingredient is coconut oil. You’ll just need one teaspoon – make sure to scoop it out while still somewhat solid.
In a small bowl, smash the berries together and mix in with the coconut oil. It’ll be pretty lumpy, don’t worry!
Next, place your small bowl in the microwave for about 10 seconds until the coconut oil is liquified. Stir it all up real good, and pour through a mesh strainer into small containers to remove the seeds. If you don’t have one, no need to worry your balm will just have some bumps in it!
Place your small containers in the fridge for about 30 minutes to cool the oil again until solid. The juice and the oil will separate, naturally. Simply rub your finger across the top when your ready to use. The warmth from your finger will help the ingredients mix on a top layer and you can apply as liberally as you like!
November 24, 2014
Because they are 95% water and include vitamin E, cucumbers are perfect for promoting healthy skin. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are ridiculous.
Because of the ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, the cucumber flushes out excess fluids and junk in your body. You can apply it topically to help sunburns, reduce redness, and inflammation. Also since cucumbers reduce water retention in your skin and tighten collagen, you can use them to reduce the effects of cellulite and wrinkles.
No wonder so many of our beauty products already include cucumbers!
Honestly, a cucumber a day will keep the doctor and the cosmetic surgeon away. Why go under the knife or spend tons of money on product when you can buy the cure-all for less than a buck. So add cucumber to your water, chop one up and throw it in a salad, or smother your face in a few slices. A cucumber face mask sounds delicious. Crazy how one simple green fruit-veggie thing can reverse the signs of aging just like that.
November 16, 2014
Winged eyeliner can be one of the most desired makeup trends to master, yet the most disastrous to perfectly achieve.
Learning how to get the perfect wing and shape can sometimes be extremely tedious, and make us want to give up trying all together. Being one of the most classic, iconic makeup looks that is still extremely relevant today in the beauty industry, winged eyeliner is definitely worth perfecting until you get it right, even if it takes you a little longer to get there.
1. Start With an Angle: Instead of starting in the corner of the inner eye and working your way up to create the angle you want, why not create the angle first? This can be easily done by drawing an upward line at the end of your eye, usually 1-2 centimeters in length. By creating the upward angle at the beginning, you can then set yourself up for the right shape. Next, start at the top of your angle and slightly slant the liner down-ward towards the lash line, moving it in ever so slowly towards the inner eye. This works almost like a stencil, and you can fill in the gap with your liner until it’s perfectly black.
2. Use an Angled Liner Brush: For most people, liquid liner takes getting used to and practice. If you aren’t confident in using a liquid liner just yet, try using an angled liner brush with a gel liner instead. The brush is a great tool to help guide you to getting the perfect line. Dip the brush in the gel liner and follow step one, slowly shaping your wing and smoothing out the line as you go.
3. Connect the Dots: When using liquid liner, draw tiny dots along the lash line to give you a base for setting up your line. You can “connect the dots”, if you will with the liquid liner to give you a cheat sheet for getting it straight and neat. Use a black eye pencil underneath the lash line to help fill in any gaps, so there’s no spaces or eyelid showing. If you mess up the liquid liner, use your angled liner brush or eyeliner pencil to help smooth it out, until you can use liquid all by itself.
November 13, 2014
Biting and picking at your nails is kinda gross. It also is a sure-fire way to make your manicure that was supposed to last all week last only a day. And while it’s a nervous habit that’s certainly on the more innocuous side of the spectrum, it can still affect your health.
Telling a nail biter to stop won’t help. Sheer willpower may also not stop the habit. But there are a few options for nail biters.
1. There are actually products created to stop nail biting. Look for a polish that contains denatonium benzoate, a bitter chemical compound that tastes so bitter and nasty, it discourages biting. Mavala Stop is an excellent option. You paint a tiny bit on your nails. It can also be used to discourage thumb sucking in children. But a little bit goes a long way.
2. Habit Reversal Training is a method that teaches a nail biter to replace one habit with another. It has shown a lot of promise. Read more about this technique on About.com’s Obsessive-Compulsive site.
3. Nail grooming. Keeping nails painted on a regular basis can cut down on nail biting because the biter may stop and consider what they are doing. My friend Deirdre swears a pricey manicure keeps her biting at bay and she suggests the brighter the color the better. After all, if your nails are painted, you won’t be as apt to bite. Especially if you paid for the color.
4. Get fake fingernails. If you have fake nails glued to your real ones, the chances of you biting them off are low.
October 29, 2014
Miley Cyrus now a Viva Glam spokesperson for MAC!
Miley made the announcement on Twitter saying, “Going #VIVAGLAM with @MACcosmetics. Look for my lipstick in early 2015″ and “Every cent from the sales of my #VIVAGLAM shade will go to @MACAIDSFund to help people affected by HIV.”
According to the brand, Miley is releasing “a super-sexy hot pink lipstick and matching lipglass with sparkling pearl shimmer.”
Viva Glam goes through spokesmodels just like candy.
Other spokespeople have included: Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna.
October 15, 2014
Shimmery metallic lids are making a major comeback according to the fall runways and we’re not mad!
Inspired by extravagance and the club culture of the 70’s and 80’s, the trend on the runways was all about a fun accent of color and sparkle.
Whether you downplay the trend for office-appropriate wear or hype it up in honor of your next night out, shimmery eyeliner is a fun Fall 2014 makeup trend that anyone can wear.
To get this look:
• Apply eyeshadow primer (I like Urban Decay’s) to your lids.
• Dip a small rounded eyeshadow brush in your glittery eyeshadow and line below the bottom lashes. You can extend the color on the top lashes as well or try another color.
• Sweep a light shimmery base shadow on your lids.
• If you don’t want to use eyeshadow — you can use an eyeliner.
Posted in: Eyes
| 1 Comment