When I think of aphrodisiacs my mind immediately conjures imagines of champagne and strawberries or oysters. While I love the offerings of the ocean, oysters remind me of big boogers and I cannot stomach them. So here is a list of other foods that will get you in the mood.
1. Celery: This aromatic vegetable delivers more than just a satisfying crunch – it makes you more physically attractive too. Celery contains androsterone and adrostenol, chemicals that are known to be sexual attractants, and is also high in essential nutrients necessary for great sex. What more reason do you need for downing that Glowing Green Smoothie every day?
2. Avocado: This silky fruit established its reputation as an aphrodisiac in the Aztec times. The Aztecs actually referred to the avocado tree as “Ahuacuatl,” which means “testicle tree.” Enough said. Slice up an avocado for a delicious snack or toss it into your next salad.
3. Pomegranate: The pom is packed with a passion power thanks to its antioxidants. Those little babies protect the lining of blood vessels, allowing more blood to course through them resulting in increased genital sensitivity.
4. Chili peppers: Lusting after a special someone? Turn up the heat with chili peppers. They contain capsaicin, which heats up body temperature and increases blood flow, while also stimulating the brain to release endorphins, which are feel-good chemicals. Chili peppers also add some physical oomph, leading to plump lips and flushed skin, two characteristics that boost your sexual attractiveness. Sprinkle cayenne on soups and stir-fries to get things really cooking, or on top of avocados for a double-dose of desirability.
5. Bananas: This is more of a mid-game player. The shape is already seductive, but deliver potassium, a nutrient key to muscle strength. So when your moment arrives, the contractions will be heightened.
6. Ginger: Just like chili peppers, ginger is known to spice things up by increasing circulation and body temperature. Legend has it that the famous French courtesan Madame du Barry used to offer ginger to all her lovers to increase their desire and pleasure. Ooh là là indeed. Add ginger to your stir-fry dishes for that extra dash of sexual energy.
7. Chocolate: There is a reason men buy women boxes of chocolate on special days. Cocoa contains the chemical phenylethylamine, a stimulant that conjures just the sort of subtle feelings of well-being and excitement that make sex seem like a great idea.
8. Nutmeg: This sweet spice’s aphrodisiac reputation dates back to early Hindu times, when they believed its warming properties stimulated sexual appetites while the sweetening effect it had on one’s breath led to increased attraction. Grate a little nutmeg into your tea, and sip your way to sexy.
9. Walnuts and Salmon: These foodie offerings are contain a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids. They keep sex boosting hormone production at its peak.
10. Red Wine: Skip the champagne and have a nice Merlot instead. The beverage contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that helps boost blood flow and improves circulation. This will be a helpful before during and after your evening.