If there’s one essential oil staple you’ll want in your beauty closet, it’s lavender essential oil.
Lavender has a fresh, sweet, floral, herbaceous aroma that is soothing and refreshing. Because it is the most versatile of all essential oils, no home should be without it.
Lavender is steam distilled from Lavandula angustifolia, a perennial, bushy shrub with a flowery top. Historically, Greeks used lavender as a perfume. The Romans used it in their baths for washing, for its cleansing qualities, and to deter insects.
Beloved mostly for its distinctive scent, lavender extracts are used as fragrance in bath and body products. You can add them via drops to your own homemade face masks, scrubs, body oils and massage oils to create a wonderful luxurious, spa-like experience.
Lavender seeds and flowers are great for aiding in sleep and relaxation. This is why you see packets of seeds sold to put in your pillows. It’s also why it’s recommended when getting massages. You can put a few drops of the oil on a warm washcloth and put it near your face to relax before bedtime.
This essential oil has the ability to eliminate nervous tension, relieve pain, disinfect the scalp and skin, enhance blood circulation and treat respiratory problems. It’s pretty amazing stuff!
How to Use
Unlike some essential oils, dilution of lavender oils is not required and it’s suitable for all skin types, except very sensitive skin. It’s also considered “generally safe” for children younger than 2.
• Add a few drops to your homemade masks, massage oils and scrubs
• Add a few drops to cotton balls or pillows and put in drawers or closets. These will scent linens and also may repel moths.
• Put about 10 drops into a warm bath for a long soak. Add Epsom salts for optimal relaxation.
• Put drops on used dryer sheets to recycle them. They will scent your towels and sheets as they dry.
• Add drops to water in a spray bottle to be used as a linen spray. (I spray mine on sheets for guests).
• Place drops on a microwaveable heating pad to be placed around the neck.
You better get an extra bottle!