Jan Marini, President and CEO of Jan Marini Skin Research, is a pioneer in the professional skincare arena. She has more than three decades of experience researching and developing new and innovative skincare technologies. Here are three of her top beauty tips to help keep skin protected and youthful during the summer months.
Protect Your Hair
· Sun exposure breaks down the Disulfide bonds in hair, causing color fading (think of that $200 color service), brittleness and breakage. Plus, remember, your scalp is an extension of the same skin that is on your face. Cumulative sun exposure, throughout the year, damages and ages the scalp and, as a result, compromises and decreases the factors that promote luxurious, full, healthy hair.
· Many hair conditioners today, such as leave-on sprays, contain a sun protectant. And, wear a hat!
Protect Your Lips
· One of the most important things we can do to keep our lips soft, hydrated and supple, as well as preventing skin cancer, is to generously massage sun protectant into the lip area.
· Your lips are one of the most vulnerable and most exposed areas and, often, the most forgotten.
Your Skin Continues to Age in the Summer Months
· There is a widely spread misconception that it is wise to stop using glycolics, retinols, etc., in the summer time. These powerful, gold standard tools can prevent a significant amount of damage, repair damage that hasn’t yet surfaced, reverse much of the superficial signs of aging and enable your skin to more effectively respond to UV radiation.
· Taking a break, especially during a period of more intense sun exposure, only compounds the aging process and further compromises your skin’s ability to repair and rejuvenate. Remember, your skin ages every day and you need to consistently apply medically and clinically validated topicals that can truly assist in keeping your skin looking healthy, vibrant, refined, hydrated and luminous.